Kitchen cabinets are a make or break for every home interior. Aside from being the key to an organized kitchen, cohesiveness and aesthetics are also things to consider when choosing the type of kitchen cabinet to install.
In this post, we shall feature 25 types of kitchen cabinets for every budget and aesthetic. Some important FAQs and tips in choosing the best kitchen cabinet for you are also outlined. Thus, if you are in need of some kitchen cabinet tips right now, read on.
What are Kitchen Cabinets Made of And How Do They Work?
Kitchen cabinets are basically built-in fixtures, sometimes even considered as furniture, that are installed for storage. By storage we mean that of dry food products, for the cookware, dishes and silverware, and other cooking equipment.
Kitchen Cabinets Buying Guide
Being the essential fixtures that they are, kitchen cabinets must be chosen well. As a matter of fact, kitchen cabinets come in different categories. In this section, we rundown the types of kitchen cabinets based on four main categories: in terms of material, design and layout, style and color.
A. Type of Kitchen Cabinetry by Material
The material used to make a kitchen cabinet determines their durability, longevity and overall maintenance. Here are eight types of kitchen cabinets based on material.
- Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets: There are two major types of acrylic kitchen cabinets: solid acrylic kitchen cabinets that are more expensive because they are made of acrylic through and through and acrylic faced doors which is a cheaper alternative. Aesthetic-wise, the glossy and neat finish of this cabinet is one for the books. They are also very durable and easy to clean.
- Lacquer Kitchen Cabinets: As a material, lacquer has been traditionally used as a topcoat because of its known durability. RTA and Assembled kitchen cabinets are mostly made of lacquer. They are perfect for contemporary and rustic style kitchen cabinets. They are also easy to clean and can be fairly affordable.
- Aluminum Kitchen Cabinets: As a material, aluminum is a stable and sturdy choice. As kitchen cabinet material, aside from being affordable, it is also hygienic as it is corrosion-free, termite free, anti-rust, and waterproof. It being a safe material and easy to clean, it is a highly considerable kitchen cabinet type.
- PVC Kitchen Cabinets: This is considered as one of the most pocket-friendly kitchen cabinet materials. As such, PVC kitchen cabinets are made of either PVC foam or PVC hollow board.The key advantage of choosing PVC kitchen cabinets is that they come in almost all colors and they can be easily fixed.
- Veneer Kitchen Cabinets: This one looks like solid wood but with less price. They have become a popular alternative for solid wood kitchen cabinets because aside from being affordable, it is also lightweight, easier to install, more durable than laminate, warp-resistant and easy to maintain.
- MDF Kitchen Cabinets: This one also comes in commendable wood appearance. It is made of engineered wood and also used as a substrate layer for veneer and laminate, generally, not just for kitchen cabinets. Like veneer, it is a good kitchen cabinet choice because it is lightweight, not choosy in paint, affordable, and easily designed.
- Melamine Kitchen Cabinets: As a material, melamine is a variant of laminate. However, it is a cheaper choice compared to laminate or veneer. As a kitchen cabinet, it gives off the look of wood or versatilely, can be infused with different colors, designs and patterns. In quality, it is durable and scratch-resistant.
- Laminate Kitchen Cabinets: This one is not just a durable material for kitchen cabinets but is also very flexible in incorporating various styles, colors, or patterns. Aside from being affordable and easy to clean, laminate kitchen cabinets are strain and scratch resistant, warping and rippling resistant, and heat and moisture resistant.
B. Kitchen Cabinet by Design & Layout
Most often than not, homeowners base their kitchen cabinet choice on design and layout. As such, here are some of the most prominent kitchen cabinet designs and layouts that you should know of.
- U Shaped Kitchen with Island: This is one of the six most common layouts for kitchen cabinets. It is also called the horseshoe design featuring three corners of the countertop, making a U-shape. This is perfect for large kitchens with ample floor space. If you want some sort of separation between the nooks in the kitchen or the adjacent living space, this is the layout for you.
- L Shaped Kitchen with Island: This is another popular kitchen layout featuring two adjoining counters, creating a right angled island in the kitchen. For a streamlined food preparation, cooking and cleanup, this is a recommended layout for you. It also allows more people in the kitchen at once.
- Frameless Kitchen Cabinets: If you are working with smaller kitchen spaces, this one is the best choice for you. It is compared to an open space, without an island, but offers more cabinet and drawer space. It is quite the European style so if you are into Scandinavian minimalist, or Hispanic open style, this is the one for you.
- Inset Kitchen Cabinets: This is one of the most picked framed kitchen cabinets out there. Although more expensive and more challenging to install, the way its doors flush fit with the cabinet frame gives a very streamlined, and neat look to the kitchen. If you are looking for a modern kitchen cabinet design and layout, this one easily fits the need.
- High Gloss Kitchen Cabinets: As the term implies, this one is made of reflective materials. Hence, if you want kitchen cabinets that do more than just storing, you can go for this type. Aside from this, it also has the ability to hide dents and scratches.It also offers a very sleek and modern look, overall.
- Flat Panel Kitchen Cabinets: Also called slab kitchen cabinets or flat front, these ones are very sleek and modern in their design and layout because they do not come with panels nor frames. As the term implies, they are flat front. They are usually made of wood veneer, and are considered as the least expensive kitchen cabinet to install. They can also be easily maintained and refinished because of their “bare” form.
- RTA Kitchen Cabinets: RTA stands for ready to assemble kitchen cabinets. The best thing about this is that they come in prefab or customized design and layout. They are installed conveniently because as the name implies, all you need to do is assemble them. They are also more cost-efficient and easier to ship.
- Outdoor Kitchen Cabinets: As the term suggests, outdoor kitchen cabinets are installed around outdoor kitchens. Since most outdoor kitchens are just roofed with light materials for al fresco dining, outdoor kitchen cabinets are usually made of stable, non-corrosive, waterproof and anti-rust materials such as aluminum and stainless steel.
C. Type of Kitchen Cabinets by Styles
Like design and layout, the kitchen cabinet style is usually the basis of choice by most homeowners. Some of the most popular kitchen cabinet styles are the following.
- Shaker Style Kitchen Cabinets: This is still considered to be the most popular kitchen cabinet style out there. Its timeless design of flat surfaced doors and drawers along with that signature recessed panel in the middle make them simple yet stunning for every kitchen style. They come in different colors and can go well with any type of aesthetic.
- Rustic Kitchen Cabinets: This type of style may range from distressed, industrial, to contemporary. As such, it is often made of wood or engineered wood like MDF, HDF, beadboard, and more. It offers suitable storage and a lot of warmth, aesthetically, in a kitchen.
- Modern Kitchen Cabinets: This one is primarily composed of frameless layouts, frameless kitchen cabinets, flat front cabinets, and glass and glossy materials.This is the usual design for sleek, streamlined looks but with a lot of aesthetic value. They look neat and uniform and minimalist. For small spaces and small household types, this is a style to go for.
D. Type of Kitchen Cabinets by Color
When it comes to kitchen cabinets, your color choice is also a make or break. The following are all-around, friendly colors to consider for your kitchen cabinets.
- Navy Blue Kitchen Cabinets: If you want a cool and compelling kitchen look, navy blue kitchen cabinets never disappoint. They are considered to be a designer choice in 2022 and adds mood and deep tones to any type of kitchen style. Sophisticated and timeless, it is perfect for both traditional and contemporary kitchen looks.
- White Shaker Kitchen Cabinets: Nothing beats the classic and white shaker kitchen cabinets offer just that. If you want to play it safe or just go for a modern, streamlined, workable look, white shaker cabinets do the wonder.Aside from that, it gives a lot of design liberty to any homeowner should you want to remodel afterwards.
- Black Kitchen Cabinets: This one is another moody, cool and compelling color to go for when it comes to kitchen cabinets. If you want a dated look for your kitchen cabinet, this is the sleekest color to consider.It may have some drawbacks however. In high-traffic homes, dirt and dust may be more emphasized.
- Dark Kitchen Cabinets: A safe color range that would surely spruce up an already outdated kitchen cabinet would be dark colored kitchen cabinets. This includes deep green, ranges of midnight to navy blue, black, greige and more. They add both cool and warmth in a kitchen and they truly upgrade it for whatever aesthetic purpose.
- Grey Shaker Kitchen Cabinets: Another color that gives a timeless yet cool look would be gray. Adding that to an equally timeless kitchen cabinet style like the shaker style would really elevate a kitchen whatever its aesthetic.
- Two-Toned Kitchen Cabinets: On top of it all, you can always mix and match. Two-toned kitchen cabinets are modern takes on taking a kitchen style onto the next level. Check complementary colors or if you want to make a statement kitchen cabinet, go for that customized look you have always wanted using two-toned kitchen cabinets.
6 Things to Consider Before Choosing a Kitchen Cabinets
Now that we have covered almost everything which you need to know about the types of kitchen cabinets for every budget and aesthetic, here are some useful tips to consider before finalizing your choice.
- Cabinet Door Styles: Always remember that your cabinet door may become the focal point of the entire kitchen if chosen right. It is a make or break because choosing wrong could change the whole theme of the kitchen.Aside from wood, you may want to explore engineered wood materials, glass, and other cabinet materials.
- Function Of Cabinets: This is perhaps the main consideration in choosing kitchen cabinets. If counter space is more important for you than storage space, go for shorter wall cabinets and counter cabinets with lots of drawers. If you have a lot of items to keep, do not go for open shelves. This would make the kitchen look very cluttered. Instead, install chest cabinets and floating kitchen cabinets for these items and other smaller appliances. Under functionality, the kitchen cabinet’s layout must also be highly considered.
- Style Of Your Kitchen: When talking about kitchen style, uniform, neat and cohesive looks are key. Thus, first establish a theme for the kitchen.It should mirror the overall look of the home. But if the theme is a problem, a safe style would include more neutrals, wood or glossy materials. Like all else, the kitchen cabinet style is a make or break. Be sure not to mess up this one.
- Mixing With Hardware: Speaking of cohesive and neat look, the mix and match gaming is essential when it comes to hardware. Style and impact-wise, modern kitchens would bide well with those shiny and minimalist hardware. Vintage hardware would fare well for rustic kitchen cabinets. You can also choose funky ones and ornate or customized ones to make a statement and unique kitchen cabinet.
- Custom Sizes And Shapes: Kitchen cabinet customization has been a trend for the longest time. This is especially helpful for those with irregular shaped kitchens or those who would want to make the most out of the kitchen space. Hence, for kitchen cabinet sizes and shapes, it can be entirely up to you or opt for the standard sizes and shapes for kitchen cabinets.
- Organization Style: Most importantly, consider your organization style. How would you want your kitchen cabinets to look overall while achieving the functionality you want? Hence, make space for hanging pots in the island counter using the right kitchen cabinet layout. You may also customize the drawers and shelves for specific kitchen items. The entire point of organizing is to help the kitchen look less cluttered.
There are also some handy FAQs regarding kitchen cabinets. To know more about types and installation, here are the FAQs to consider.
What Types of Kitchen Cabinets Are There?
Basically, there are three major types of kitchen cabinets: custom, semi-stock and stock cabinets. The most affordable type is the stock cabinets because they are pre-assembled and pre-fab. Semi-stock on the other hand offers a lot of color, style and variety. The most expensive one, essentially, is the custom cabinet.
What Is the Most Popular Type of Cabinet?
The top rank is still owned by shaker cabinets. Its square panel doors and simple hardware remain to be timeless, safe choice for style, design and layout, and works for any type of kitchen aesthetics. Just to note, whether RTA or assembled, the ice shaker kitchen cabinet remains to be the most popular type of shaker cabinets.
What Is the Most Durable Type of Cabinet?
This one is about material. To be straightforward, solid wood is still considered as the most durable type of cabinet. Maple, cherry, and oak are the favorite solid wood materials for kitchen cabinets.
However, they are very expensive. This is the reason why cheaper solid wood alternatives such as engineered wood, laminate, and veneer, among others continue to become popular choices instead of solid wood.
What Is the Most Efficient Kitchen Cabinet Layout?
To be clear, there are six major types of kitchen cabinet layouts or of the kitchen generally. Of these six, the most efficient kitchen cabinet layouts would be the G, L and U-shaped layouts. The inclusion of the island counter and the good use of space make them sought after kitchen cabinet layouts after all this time.
Where to Buy Kitchen Cabinets Online for Your House and Apartments?
So now that we have covered almost everything which you need to know about kitchen cabinets for every budget and aesthetic, it is time to know where you can buy them. For a hassle-free purchasing, you may check out the following stores:
- Kitchen Cabinet Kings
- Home Depot
- Wholesale Cabinets
- Barker Cabinets
You may also resort to second hand or local kitchen cabinet manufacturers through online shops such as Etsy, EBay, Amazon, Craigslist and more. You may also directly contact the customer service of these online kitchen cabinet manufacturers for direct inquiries.
Leave A Comment